Thursday, January 28, 2010

Sketch Blog #2

During Illustration II class, I took the initiative to listen to my professor, who I adore, to actually start drawing and understanding animals and their structure. I know tigers all to well and decided to expand to the domestic dog. So I drew a couple of sketches here of the dogs muzzle/nose area. The top sketch is my own memory of the form of a dogs mouth and nose but the larger sketch below that one was after looking at a reference a bit longer. As you can tell, my version has a small cup above the mouth like cat's have. I am not saying dogs don't have that "cup" but I realized that its not noticeable as cats. Rather, the dogs upper skin sort of folds as the dog opens its mouth and "folds".

This is all from a husky dog by the way, some dogs have droops like that and others don't...it depends on the breed. But I also noticed that the dogs "droop" mouth can be seen from the other side when drawing the mouth at an angle. The cut between the mouth under the nose is not as curved as cats as well, its more settle. I do hope to draw more canines in the future along with other animals.

1 comment:

  1. Muzzles are fun. Just don't accidentally add them to everything, like I do. :(

    ReplyDelete